A gold-plated piece of jewelry has a layer of gold on a metal plate that is either made up of copper, brass, or silver.
Some occasions demand shine and elegance of gold- instead of silver, copper, or brass. You ought to keep your gold-plated jewelry neat, clean, and as good as glossy on all functions.
Keeping gold-plated jewelry up-to-date and up-with-glory is a tedious task, no doubt about it. But without its full luster and glory, you cannot flaunt it on any occasion!
At the end of the article, you will find a visual link to how to clean a piece of gold-plated jewelry. If this was not sufficient, then here are some verbal steps to help you guide well.
Soap and warm water method
- Add two drops of mild soap in warm water
- Sink your gold-plated jewelry into the mixture
- Take out your jewelry from the soap and water solution.
- Rinse it under clear warm water
- Get hold of a polishing cloth
- Gently rub the gold-plated jewelry with a polishing cloth
Cotton ball method
- After every occasion, gently remove your gold-plated jewelry to wipe it down.
- Get hold of a cotton ball
- Now, very gently wipe down every piece of gold-plated jewelry.
- Be it a chain, pendant, bracelet, or earrings.
- Apart from cleaning your gold-plated jewelry well, you must also know how to store it well.
- If you are not storing it well, the gold-plating may come out. If the gold-plating comes out, then your resembling-gold jewelry will show its true colors. Its true colors being – silvery, coppery, or brassy. You do not want that, correct?
- Store each piece of jewelry separately.
- Do not store gold-plated jewelry with your silver jewelry. Silver jewelry will fasten the fading away process of gold-plated jewelry.
- Individually wrap and store every gold-plated piece of jewelry in cloth. If not in clothes, then in separate bags. Or you could opt for a jewelry box with a compartment system to separate the jewelry from each other.
- If you store your gold-plated jewelry this way, then you can avoid scratches and damage easily.
- Avoid spraying deodorants and perfumes on your gold-plated jewelry. It’s like, spraying off the cover and letting the jewelry show its true colors- silver, copper, or brass. Of course, there is a chemical reaction taking place behind it between the gold-material and the chemicals in the deodorant. One must always spray deodorant or perfume before wearing any gold-plated jewelry.
- Always wait till the lotion, moisturizer, or cream in your skin gets fully absorbed. Else there will be another chemical reaction between the chemicals in the emollient, cream, or moisturizer and the gold-plated jewelry. Apart from that, it can damage your skin too. So, have patience and start your makeup early!
- After wearing your gold-plated jewelry for your favorite function, take it out and clean it well.
- You ought to clean it to remove the dirt, dust, and bacteria that thrive on it.
- Now, use alcohol or turpentine to clean it with the help of a cotton ball.
Another method- How to clean gold jewelry at home – YouTube